Attention Attorneys!
Be part of FLG’s exclusive 
Legal Network. Sign up
to be included in our list of
Preferred Referral Attorneys.

What Are The Different Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage?

In Florida, the legally required minimum coverage is a $10,000 personal injury protection (PIP) policy and a $10,000 property damage liability (PDL) policy. You will need to carry both types of insurance while in possession of a valid Florida license. There are other types of available coverage as well. Here is a breakdown of the different kinds of auto insurance coverage available in Florida:

PIP stands for Personal Injury Protection. In Florida, it is required by law that every vehicle owner and driver on the road have $10,000 worth of PIP insurance coverage. Your insurance company pays out your PIP benefits if you are in involved in an accident. These benefits are paid regardless of whose fault the accident was. PIP insurance can be very helpful in the unfortunate event of an auto accident, as it pays for 80% of your medical bills and 60% of your lost wages. The maximum it can pay out to you is $10,000. PIP insurance will cover any vehicle-related accidents or injuries.

Bodily Injury Liability (BIL) coverage is for serious and permanent injury or death to others in the event of a crash involving your vehicle. Under BIL coverage, the company you are insured with will pay for injuries up to the limits under your policy. Additionally, BIL coverage provides legal counsel for you if you get sued due to the automobile accident.

Property Damage Liability (PDL) insurance is a policy that will cover any damages that you or members of your family cause to other people’s property in the event of an automobile accident.

Do I Have Any Recourse If I Cannot Identify The Driver That Injured Me In A Hit & Run Accident?

If the driver who committed the “hit and run” against you cannot be identified or located, then you will need to file a claim with your own insurance company. If you have the proper coverage, your insurance company will typically provide protection in terms of property and bodily injury. Be sure to file a claim as soon as possible after the accident. These claims will get the process started for you to receive compensation for damages you incur. For “bodily injury” protection, these funds will provide compensation for medical bills, as well as the costs associated with lost wages, time, and suffering. “Property damage” protection will offer compensation for damages sustained to your automobile. If you are not insured, or are perhaps underinsured, and you cannot locate or identify the individual who caused the accident, then you will unfortunately have to come out of pocket for these expenses.

Who Pays For My Property Damage?

The liable party’s insurance company will typically compensate you for property damages. If the responsible party in a hit and run accident cannot be located or identified, then you must file a claim with your own insurance company to recover property damages.

My Insurance Company Is Offering A Settlement Under My Uninsured Motorist Coverage. Do I Still Need An Attorney?

It is still advisable to consult with an attorney in the event of an automobile accident. Since insurance companies, in part, make their money by not paying out high amounts for claims, you cannot assume that they will always have your best interests in mind. However, your attorney always will strive to get you the compensation you deserve. Therefore, it is recommended that you meet with an attorney to discuss all of your rights and what you may be entitled to during your automobile accident claim.

For more information on Auto Insurance Coverage, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling 800-835-5762 & 954-456-2488 today.

Attorney Robert Fenstersheib

Get your questions answered - call us for your FREE consultation at 800-835-5762 & 954-456-2488

Related Articles

Related Topics

Get Help Now
Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U